Wednesday 21 March 2012

341. Silver railings


I realised that I'd done a posting on the day Johnshaven Stores' new railings were fitted, but I've never shown the finished product.  They are an absolutely amazing sea themed work of art.  We commissioned Jim Shears, a blacksmith in Ladybank, to make them having spotted his work in the Fife Open Studios booklet.

The silver colour is a result of the galvanising process (to protect them from the salty sea air) and will dull over time.  We may paint them at some stage, but it's a very big job and how on earth do we choose a colour?!


4 comments:

  1. They are quite spectacular railings! Love them....I'm beginning to think about how much I'll miss my daily snapshot!....perhaps I'll go back and start again!!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Ali! You have been right there from the start, encouraging me and making me feel it was all worthwhile even when hardly anyone was reading the blog! You can't imagine how much of a boost that was for me :)
      Kate x

      Delete
  2. They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab work by the blacksmith - absolutely love these railings

    ReplyDelete