Wednesday 2 May 2012

369. Sycamore in bud


Recently I've been able to go for walks with my Dad, who has an excellent knowledge of wildlife, plants and all things natural.  Sadly very little of this has rubbed off on me over the years, so it's lovely to have things identified by him.

This morning, as we passed this tree a short distance beyond the caravan site, he said, "That's a sycamore."  I'm not too bad on tree identification if I can actually see the leaves, but when it's just twigs, branches and buds I haven't a clue, so I was extremely impressed!  On closer inspection of an opening bud, he was able to prove that he's right.  Of course he's right - he's my Dad :)

1 comment:

  1. Your dad sounds great!
    I regularly stop by flowers trees and bushes that I know the name of and point them out to our son...wonder if he will remember?....although the number of identified species gets smaller - as I'm sure mum and dad pointed out many more to me that I have forgotten! After a few generations maybe we'll just point and say tree, flower etc....I hope not!!
    With people like you and your dad around passing on the knowledge-we won't!
    I saw some of those tiny purple flowers (featured on here last year!!) cascading down a wall the other day and thought of you!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete